Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Princess Shaker

When I saw the adorable Glass Slipper Princess stamp set from Kindred Stamps, I knew she was going to be a shaker card.  Isn't she the cutest?!?!


I wanted to step outside the standard circle/rectangle shaker so when I saw the glass slipper I knew it would be the perfect shaker filled with blue/white goodies.  I stamped my slipper and broke out my PixScan Mat for my Cameo.

I took a photo of the mat with my phone and imported that into the Silhouette Design Studio.


I had to block out the other areas as those projects are not finished 😏  But you can see the slipper stamp.  I then traced it and got just the outline.


I selected the trace area, changed to outline and then selected "trace outer edge".  You can see the outline in red next to the slipper.

I then had to decide how big I wanted my slipper shaker to be.  Since I used a standard card size, I created a 4in. x 5.25in rectangle to resemble my top layer. I then started to enlarge the slipper until I was happy with the size.  I knew how tall my princess was going to be, so I tried to keep it large enough so she wouldn't cover it.


Since this is a custom shape, I knew cutting and applying foam tape around the slipper was not going to be fun!  To remedy that, I chose to do a bunch of layers of kraft cardstock smaller than my card top with the slipper cut out.  I kept my slipper the same size but made the rectangle smaller so I could use foam tape to adhere the top layer to my base.  




Here are the pieces cut. I cut about a dozen of the kraft cutouts as I wasn't sure how many I would need to stack to allow my sequins and beads to move freely.  I also used a piece of clear cardstock behind the pattern paper - it's a lot thicker than acetate so it's studier.




I flipped the top layer over and applied a layer of double sided tape around the shoe.  This will attach the clear cardstock (be sure to remove the protective film before sticking it in place lol).  In addition, I added some wider pieces around the edges.


In order for the first layer of kraft to stick to the clear cardstock, I ran it through my Xyron Creative Station.  I wanted to make sure the layer was not going to come off and liquid glue was not going to hold it in place.


Apply your first layer after removing the backing from the Xyron.  I then stacked my foam tape around the cutout so as I was layering the kraft cutouts, I knew how tall to make my layer.  Going with 2 layers of foam tape will give the shaker pieces plenty of room to move freely.




Using liquid glue, I stacked my layers.  Once I was at the level of the foam tape, I ran the last layer of my kraft cutout through the Xyron flipped over, so the top layer will have the adhesive.  I removed only the top piece of plastic and glued it in place.  Then it was time to add my sequin mix.



I cut a piece of blue cardstock to the same size as the kraft cutout and stuck that to the adhesive - using the Xyron adhesive stops the sequins from being able to move beyond the shaker area and you don't have liquid glue seeping into your sequins.

Flip it over and give it a shake 😊  I added this to a standard, 5.5in x 4.25in white card base.



Now it's time to color up a Princess.  My first attempt with Zig watercolor brushes and I think she turned out pretty cute.  I added some Nuvo drops for her earrings and a little sparkle to her dress with a Spectrum Noir Sparkle Marker.




I wanted to add her pumpkins as well to the card.


And here's my finished shaker card. I popped the princess up with some foam tape.  I then added the adorable sentiment, which is perfect for this card as it will be a surprise for my niece and she's all done.


Goodies used on this card:
DCWV ~ Blossoms & Butterflies Stack
Bazzill Cardstock
Recollections Kraft Cardstock
Tim Holtz Watercolor Paper
Tim Holtz Stamp Platform
Archival Jet Black Ink
Xyron Creative Station
BigShot
MFT Die-namics ~ Mini Tabs Dies
Simon Says ~ Rain Sequin Mix
Nuvo Crystal Drops ~ Duck Egg Blue
ColorBox Chalk ~ Chestnut Roan
Spectrum Noir Clear Sparkle Pen
Double Sided Tape
Clear Scraps ~ Clear Cardstock
Foam Tape



No comments:

Post a Comment