Thursday, May 31, 2018

How Aargh You?

Happy Thursday!  Today I have a fun shaker card to share with y'all using the Yo Ho! set from Kindred Stamps.  I thought it would be super fun to make the pirate ship the shaker loaded with "loot".  Isn't this set fun?!


I started out by stamping my Captain and ship using my stamp platform.  Next, I colored him using my Zig watercolor markers.  I wasn't worried about the ship as that's just needed for the outline.  I then used my PixScan mat with my Cameo to die cut around the Captain and the shape of the ship.


Once I had the ship outline, I cut a stack of them out of cardstock.  They will be stacked up creating a well for the "loot".  I also cut my top layer with the ship cutout as well. (Yes, I cut the ship the wrong direction on my top layer and didn't realize it until a few steps later lol)


Glue the layers of the ship cutouts together.  I used 6 layers, which gave me a nice well and was about the same thickness as my foam tape.


In order to get the clear overlay for the top, I used some clear cardstock.  I cut a small piece and used washi tape to hold it in place so I could stamp the ship image on the front.


Using StazOn in, I stamped the ship image in the cutout area.  It fit perfectly inside making it super easy to line up.


Add a layer of double sided tape around the perimeter of the clear cardstock and adhere it to the back of your top layer.


Here you can see it adhered in place.


Next, add your layered cardstock cutouts.  I used double sided tape on the back along with glue in the smaller areas.  I used washi tape on the top and bottom, adhering it to the front of the card base to ensure it was all lined up correctly.  Once it was adhered, the washi tape was easily removed.


One thing I like to do is take my anti-static bag that is used for embossing, to run around the edges of the cutout.  This will make any glue or tape that may have showed through to not be sticky anymore allowing the loot to shake freely.


Add your "loot" ~ as much as you like.  Then add your double sided tape around the opening.  I also added foam tape to level out the card.


Adhere the top piece of your card. And of course give it a shake or two lol!


For my sentiment, I wanted the paper to look old like a used treasure map.  I love this Kraft Glassine paper by Tim Holtz and knew I could get that effect with it.  I die cut my piece with my BigShot and a MFT washi tape die. 


Here's the fun part of this paper - you can ball it up, squish it and really roll it up to get a neat worn look when unfolded.


Add a little distress ink to make it look old.


 Then stamp your sentiment.  I always die cut first then put the piece back into place, hold it with some washi tape, then stamp the sentiment.


Add your cute Captain and the sentiment and your card is complete.



This card might be hard to part with lol.  Hope you enjoyed the tutorial!

Goodies used on this card:
Kindred Stamps ~ Yo Ho Stamp Set
Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers
Bristol Paper
Tim Holtz Stamp Platform
Archival Jet Black Ink
StazOn Jet Black Ink
Rusty Pickle ~ Black Pearl/Cap'n Jack Cardstock
Tim Holtz Kraft Glassine Paper
Distress Ink ~ Walnut
ColroBox Chalks ~ Chestnut Roan and Dark Brown
MFT Washi Tape Dies
ClarScraps Clear Cardstock
Double Sided Tape



No comments:

Post a Comment