Friday, May 11, 2018

Impossible Card

So by now I'm sure everyone has seen the impossible card - really fun card with a neat flip feature and a center that stands upright all from one sheet of paper!  Well I've been having a lot of fun making them and decided to create a cut file to make the card that much easier to make.  All it requires is a simple fold line and it's ready for action.

I was totally geeking out when I saw the new Light Saber Bear and title from KaDoodle Bug Designs ~ yes, I'm a sci-fy junkie lol.  I knew this card type with a fun space background would be perfect.  So I took on that challenge.

When you open the impossible card file, you will see these pieces on your mat. I labeled each piece below so you'd know what pieces I will be referring to when I assemble my card.  The lines in the base are cut lines, so you will want to cut those when you send it to your machine.


Once you pick your cardstock, it's time to send it to the machine.  Here you can see I went with black for the base pieces.  Although the rest are white, the ones labeled patterned paper are Bristol 110lb paper to create my space pieces.


After everything was cut, I created my space pieces.  I used 3 different distress inks to create them.



First, I added some of the lightest color to random areas.



Next, add some of the darker blue to the areas you want.


Then come in with some of the purple. 


Blend them together.  This is why the Bristol paper works so great - the ink doesn't dry right way and sits on top of the paper, allowing it to blend smoothly.



Now onto the card base.  You'll want to score BETWEEN the 2 cut lines at the 2 1/2 inch mark.  Line the card up with the 2 cut lines facing the right on your scoreboard. 



Fold your flap up, burnishing it a little.



Now you can flip those flaps, either direction.   Here's a little video to show it in motion.



Here's my card in the flipped position I want it in.  If you want the flip reversed, you'll need to rotate your cut pieces to ensure the patterned paper cuts in the direction you want.



Add the mat pieces to your base.


Then add the patterned paper or in this case, the space pieces made previously.



Add the support piece.  Adding both is optional - one gives the card more than enough durability.




Now it's time to decorate that flap.  I so love how this card turned out! You can add all kinds of crafty goodies to your support pieces.  I chose to leave mine plain for now as this will be a masculine card.  I may add some white dots for stars.


I added a white mat to the back to write a message.


You can download the impossible card by clicking here.

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my card!

Goodies used on this card:
KaDoodle Bug Designs ~ Cutie KaToodles Light Saber Bear
KaDoodle Bug Designs ~ Light Saber Title
Bazzill Cardstock
Recollections Cardstock
Bristol Paper
ColorBox Chalks ~ Chestnut Roan, Toffee, Warm Green, Blue Lagoon and Charcoal
Pebbles Classic Chalk
Recollections Black Pen
Signo White Pen
Distress Ink ~ dusty concord, chipped sapphire, and tumbled glass


1 comment:

  1. I've never seen this style card before but I'm intrigued! Great card, and thank you for the tutorial! I will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete